Soldier killed and three others wounded in Castlemartin Ranges incident

A soldier from the Royal Tank Regiment has died and three others have been
wounded after an incident at a firing range in Pembrokeshire, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The soldiers were hurt on Wednesday afternoon at Castlemartin Ranges, in an area used for tank training exercises by the Royal Armoured Corps.

Minister for People and Veterans Tobias Ellwood, said: “It is with deep sadness that I can confirm the death of a soldier from the Royal Tank Regiment who died as a result of injuries sustained in an incident at Castlemartin Ranges. His next of kin were by his bedside.

“Three other soldiers have also been wounded and our thoughts remain with the friends and families of all those involved,” he added.

“The safety of our personnel is our absolute priority and a full investigation is under way to understand the details of this tragic accident,” he said.

Castlemartin, the only UK Army range used for direct-fire live gunnery exercises for armoured units, covers 5,900 acres on the south Pembrokeshire coast and was opened in 1938.

Live firing was due to take place at the range between Monday and Friday.

Wednesday’s incident comes five years after a 21-year-old soldier died at Castlemartin when he was shot in the head while relaxing at a safe location just outside the training range.

A 2013 inquest found Ranger Michael “Mike” Maguire, of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Irish Regiment, had been unlawfully killed.


Source link

Leave a Comment

Free WordPress Themes