Man jailed for stabbing police officer

A man who was found guilty after stabbing an on-duty plain clothes police officer in east London has been jailed.

Andrew Beadie, 20 (13.11.96) of Claremont Road, Basildon was found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent after stabbing the officer in an alleyway near the Bow Bells Public House in Bow Road, E3 on 22 November 2016.

He was also found guilty of common assault against an unidentified member of the public.

He was sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment with a further two years on extended license at the Old Bailey on Friday, 16 June. He was found guilty at the same court on Friday, 26 May.

Beadie also received a six-month sentence for the common assault to be served concurrently.

The jury heard that on 22 November 2016 Beadie, was in the company of his partner – a 34-year-old woman – and her two 16-year-old twin sons.

Armed with at least one knife, Beadie and the others took a short trip from Devons Road to Bow Church using the DLR.

Shortly before 21:00hrs and after alighting the DLR, Beadie accosted a man in Bow Road, E3 and in an unprovoked attack, punched him to the ground. The incident was captured on CCTV but despite extensive enquiries the victim of this assault has never been found.

At around 21:20hrs Beadie and the others entered an alleyway next to the Bow Bells Public House. There he tried to engage another man in conversation. Unbeknown to Beadie, that man was a police officer attached to the Met’s Specialist Crime and Operations.

Having accused the officer of looking at his girlfriend, Beadie produced a large knife and repeatedly stabbed him in the abdomen before running off.

The officer had suffered three stab wounds and colleagues administered first aid until London Ambulance Service arrived and took him to hospital. He has since been discharged.

When Beadie was arrested a week later, on 25 November 2016, his mobile phone was seized. On it was an image of a knife taken two days after the stabbing. The investigating detectives believe this was the same weapon used to attack the officer, but the knife has never been recovered.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Holmes, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “This was a cowardly, unprovoked and sickening knife attack on a police officer.

“We will never know quite what motivated Beadie to embark upon a series of violent assaults that night, but throughout his interview with police and his evidence to the jury he has shown not a shred of genuine remorse. He would not have known that the victim of his final act of violence that night was a police officer and it is just sheer luck that the injuries he sustained were not life threatening.

“The knife had a 10-inch blade and was a terrifying weapon. There can be no doubt Beadie intended to cause abject fear that night and serious harm. He has received a significant custodial sentence, and this should act as a timely reminder of the consequences of carrying a knife on the streets of London. Those who continue to cause harm to our communities through these actions will be targeted by the Metropolitan Police Service and put before the courts.”

The case against Janine Morris, 24 (18.08.92) of Rainhill Way, Bow who was also charged on 26 November 2016 with attempted murder, two counts of affray and assisting an offender was later discontinued by the Crown Prosecution Service.

No further action was taken against a 17-year-old male youth and two 16-year-old boys arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

No further action was also taken against a 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Beadie was also found not guilty of possession of an offensive weapon.

Source link

Leave a Comment

Free WordPress Themes