News

Girl, 11, electrocuted while playing in a lagoon

  • Kayla Matos from New Jersey was swimming with her friends on Saturday
  • Was electrocuted after she touched a boat lift that was apparently electrified
  • First responders tried to resuscitate her but she died in hospital that evening 

Timothyna Duncan For Dailymail.com

An 11-year-old girl died after she was electrocuted while swimming with friends in a lagoon. 

Kayla Matos, was playing with a raft in the Toms River lagoon in New Jersey on Saturday when she touched the metal rail of a boat lift – a device for transferring boats between water – which was apparently electrified, ABC 7 reported.

Police said in a statement that the ‘electric current appears to have energized the equipment causing the injury.’ 

Kayla Matos, 11, was electrocuted while swimming with friends at the Toms River lagoon in New Jersey

Kayla Matos, 11, was electrocuted while swimming with friends at the Toms River lagoon in New Jersey

Kayla Matos, 11, was electrocuted while swimming with friends at the Toms River lagoon in New Jersey

Kayla touched the metal rail of a boat lift  which was apparently electrified. Pictured is the raft she was playing with before the electrocution

Kayla touched the metal rail of a boat lift  which was apparently electrified. Pictured is the raft she was playing with before the electrocution

Kayla touched the metal rail of a boat lift  which was apparently electrified. Pictured is the raft she was playing with before the electrocution

The adults around the water gave her CPR in an attempt to resuscitate her. First responders used a defibrillator when they arrived at the scene but it was to no avail, as the Newark native died mere hours later at the Community Medical Center in Toms River.

The little girl was swimming in the lagoon with her friends – none of whom were injured – behind one of their homes when the incident occurred.

 The girls were all in life vests and were under adult supervision at the time of the electrocution. 

Kayla died at the hospital on Saturday evening, mere hours after the electrocution. Pictured is the Toms River lagoon

Kayla died at the hospital on Saturday evening, mere hours after the electrocution. Pictured is the Toms River lagoon

Kayla died at the hospital on Saturday evening, mere hours after the electrocution. Pictured is the Toms River lagoon


Source link

Leave a Comment

Free WordPress Themes