In an extensive interview with Spanish radio station Onda Cero on the first day of his fifth term as the man in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu, Perez fuelled transfer speculation by admitting he has been kept in the dark over Ronaldo’s wish to leave Spain this summer.
Perez admitted that is where he was first informed of Ronaldo’s with to leave and hasn’t spoken to Madrid’s all-time top scorer since.
“I found out from what came out in the newspaper,” said Perez.
“He is playing a very important tournament in the Confederations Cup and until it is finished I am not going to disrupt the atmosphere in the Portuguese national team.
“I don’t know what has happened, it is all very strange. He will tell us what has happened.”
Perez categorically denied any offer had been received for the four-time World Player of the Year with a sensational return to Manchester United the most likely destination should Ronaldo force a move.
The 70-year-old construction magnate was reelected president for a new four-year term as he was unopposed for a third straight election on Monday.
But the man who has made a habit of breaking the world transfer record for the biggest names for the first time faces a real fight to keep a hold of his biggest star.
Rival radio station COPE also reported on Monday that Ronaldo is furious with Perez for his supposed lack of support in his case with the Spanish tax authorities.
Perez repeatedly stressed his faith in Ronaldo’s innocence but stopped short of promising to pay a potential 28 million euro fine the Portuguese could face if found guilty.
“It wouldn’t make any sense. I am sure Cristiano wouldn’t want us to pay any fine, if there is one, he isn’t like that.”
Should Ronaldo maintain his stance and demand a move away, Madrid are expected to hold out for well in excess of the world record fee United paid for Paul Pogba last year.
His spectacular end to the season, including scoring twice in the Champions League final, showed even at 32 he still has a few seasons left as one of the deadliest finishers in world football.
Moreover, Ronaldo has proved an enormous contributor to Perez’s attempts for Madrid’s commercial deals to rival those enjoyed by United and more recently rivals Barcelona.
“Ronaldo is a lot more powerful and more important than all of us who are here,” Perez added.
Earlier at his swearing in ceremony, though, Perez tellingly warned his job is to build on the “legendary” success of the past four years with a younger and united group.
“We have build a legendary team with the best players in the world and the best players in Spain, but also many from the academy,” he said.
Ronaldo’s absence could yet facilitate that process with Madrid heading the queue for French teenage sensation Kylian Mbappe.
The expected departures of Alvaro Morata and James Rodriguez could also yet be affected if Real cashed in on Ronaldo, particularly as Morata seemed set for Old Trafford.
Perez insisted there are no concrete offers for James at present, with Chelsea interested in the top scorer at the 2014 World Cup, but promised to improve Madrid’s double winning squad despite the potential for a turbulent transfer window.
“We don’t want anyone to go,” he added.
“No one has offered us anything. Not for James, nor anyone and we are not obsessed by that.
“We have a great team and, when the time comes, we will improve it.”
Will Cristiano Ronaldo return to Manchester United this summer?
14000+ VOTES SO FAR