Darknet administrator arrested over Munich massacre gun

Police have arrested the administrator of a website allegedly used to buy a gun used to kill nine people in Munich in 2016.

Police said Monday the 30-year-old is thought to be the sole administrator of the so-called darknet site, where drugs and firearms were sold.

David Ali Sonboly killed nine people and injured 35 others when he opened fire in a shopping mall.

The 18-year-old was reported to have had 300 bullets in his backpack at the time of the shooting. He killed himself shortly after the attack.

Video:
Munich Killer Bought Gun On Dark Web

A video filmed before the rampage shows Sonboly shouting at bystanders and insulting foreigners. Police said he had been in psychiatric care and did not have any links to terror groups.

German authorities arrested the man suspected of selling Sonboly the firearm in August 2016, after catching him in a sting operation. Investigators began tracking the unnamed 31-year-old while pursuing unrelated cases of illegal firearms sales on the dark web.

He was thought to have met Sonboly twice, first to sell him the weapon and, four days before the attack, the bullets.

A gun seized by the police in connection with the detention of a dealer involved in the July rampage in a Munich shopping centre
Image:
A gun seized by police investigating the Munich rampage

Authorities announced the arrest of the administrator of the darknet site on Monday, after arresting the man on 8 June in southwest Germany.

The suspect has not been named by police. During their investigation authorities identified and seized the server used to host the site.

Darknet sites are accessed using software that protects users’ anonymity and are not visible to ordinary web users.


Source link

Leave a Comment

Free WordPress Themes