News

Carly McBride murder investigation sees police arrest man

The short-term boyfriend of Carly McBride is expected to be charged with her 2014 murder, with police alleging he was ‘jealous’ of her relationship with another man.

Sayle Kenneth Newson was arrested on Monday by officers from Strike Force Karabi at a property in San Remo, on the New South Wales central coast.

Newson, 39, had been dating Ms McBride, 31, for eight weeks when she vanished on September 30, 2014 after visiting her former partner Andrew Easton earlier that day.

Ms McBride body was found in bushland at Scone, in the Hunter Valley region, last August, with a post-mortem revealing she died from repeated blunt force trauma.

At a press conference on Monday, NSW police superintendent Steve Clarke said that Newson and another man – who will be arrested at Lithgow Correctional Centre later this week – would both be charged with her murder.

Sayle Newson, the short-term boyfriend of Carly McBride (pictured) is expected to be charged with her 2014 murder, as police allege he was 'jealous' of her relationship with another man 

Sayle Newson, the short-term boyfriend of Carly McBride (pictured) is expected to be charged with her 2014 murder, as police allege he was 'jealous' of her relationship with another man 

Sayle Newson, the short-term boyfriend of Carly McBride (pictured) is expected to be charged with her 2014 murder, as police allege he was ‘jealous’ of her relationship with another man 

Ms McBride, a mother-of-two, vanished in September 2014, before her remains were found in bushland (pictured) in August last year

Ms McBride, a mother-of-two, vanished in September 2014, before her remains were found in bushland (pictured) in August last year

Ms McBride, a mother-of-two, vanished in September 2014, before her remains were found in bushland (pictured) in August last year

In a statement released on Monday, NSW police said the 39-year-old man had been arrested and taken to nearby Wyong Police Station to help them with their inquiries into the murder of Ms McBride

In a statement released on Monday, NSW police said the 39-year-old man had been arrested and taken to nearby Wyong Police Station to help them with their inquiries into the murder of Ms McBride

'Just after 8am... strike force investigators travelled to a home at San Remo where they arrested a 39-year-old man in connection with the murder,' the statement read.

'Just after 8am... strike force investigators travelled to a home at San Remo where they arrested a 39-year-old man in connection with the murder,' the statement read.

At a press conference on Monday, NSW police superintendent Steve Clarke said Newson and another man – who will be arrested at Lithgow Correctional Centre later this week – would both be charged with Ms McBride’s (pictured) murder

Police said prosecutors would rely on Newson’s claims he was a champion ‘Muay Thai’ fighter who had never lost.

‘The man in custody here has indicated to us that his former profession was as a boxer and Muay Thai champion,’ Supt Clarke said. 

‘He claims to have a record of 20 wins and no losses, that is significant here in this particular investigation.’

Supt Clarke said police would also allege there was a relationship between Newson, who is currently in custody at Wyong Police Station, and Ms McBride. 

He said it was alleged that Newson and his co-offender had acted out of ‘jealousy’. 

‘It would appear there may be an aspect of jealously involved in this particular murder,’ Supt Clarke said.

Ms McBride left this Belmont, NSW house on September 30 2014 and never returned

Ms McBride left this Belmont, NSW house on September 30 2014 and never returned

Ms McBride left this Belmont, NSW house on September 30 2014 and never returned

It was last year revealed Ms McBride had been arguing with her ex-partner moments before she went missing. She had been at his property to visit her young daughter (pictured)

It was last year revealed Ms McBride had been arguing with her ex-partner moments before she went missing. She had been at his property to visit her young daughter (pictured)

It was last year revealed Ms McBride had been arguing with her ex-partner moments before she went missing. She had been at his property to visit her young daughter (pictured)

Police investigating the case have previously spoken to James Cunneen, a friend of Newson’s, about her disappearance.

During a search of his property in the hunt for Ms McBride, police charged Cunneen with drug and firearm offences. The 26-year-old was jailed over the offences.

Monday’s breakthrough comes after Ms McBride’s remains were found in bushland at Scone, in the Hunter Valley region of NSW, last August. 

Earlier last year it was revealed Newson had dropped off Ms McBride at the house of her ex-partner Andrew Easton on the day she disappeared.

The mother-of-two was visiting her three-year-old daughter, but when Newson came back to collect her he was told she’d stormed off after a dispute with Mr Easton, the Daily Telegraph reports. 

The 31-year-old's body was found at Scone, in the Hunter Valley region of northern New South Wales (pictured)

The 31-year-old's body was found at Scone, in the Hunter Valley region of northern New South Wales (pictured)

The 31-year-old’s body was found at Scone, in the Hunter Valley region of northern New South Wales (pictured)

On Monday, police claimed that on the day she disappeared, Newson and his co-offender drove to the area in Scone (pictured) where her body was found

On Monday, police claimed that on the day she disappeared, Newson and his co-offender drove to the area in Scone (pictured) where her body was found

On Monday, police claimed that on the day she disappeared, Newson and his co-offender drove to the area in Scone (pictured) where her body was found

She was thought to have gone to McDonald’s, just a four-minute drive away, however police believe she never made it there.

On Monday, Supt Clarke said prosecutors will allege that the men who murdered her used her credit card to buy drinks at a restaurant on the day she disappeared.

‘We will allege that shortly after her disappearance the man in custody here and his co-offender travelled to the Scone area,’ he said. 

‘Prior to travelling to the Scone area we will allege they went to a local restaurant and used her keycard to purchase some drinks.’ 

She was thought to have gone to McDonald's, just a four-minute drive away, however police believe she never made it there

She was thought to have gone to McDonald's, just a four-minute drive away, however police believe she never made it there

She was thought to have gone to McDonald’s, just a four-minute drive away, however police believe she never made it there

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.


Source link

Leave a Comment

Free WordPress Themes